Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sydell Goat/Sheep Stand

After taking the sheep shearing class we knew we would need some help with this process. Ted and I just can't flip sheep and make them stay where you put them. Especially Icelandic sheep. You flip them and they act all docile then, boom they're gone like lightening. After perusing Uncle Henry's and Craigslist for the Sydell stand I finally broke down and ordered it Monday afternoon. I guess the things just don't come up for re sale that often. They are American made and that makes me very happy. I decided to call them this morning to see when it would arrive. After all it has to come from South Dakota all the way to Maine. The gentleman was very nice and told me it would probably arrive Tuesday or Wednesday of next week due to the holiday. Oh, darn. I think I actually let out a long sigh. Oh, well. I would just have to wait. I went to work on the laundry and I heard a delivery truck backing into the back yard, straight toward the barn! I had my slippers on and ran out the door to greet the UPS man. He probably thought I was a little too happy.
It didn't come assembled. What the heck?

All the parts removed from the boxes. Thank goodness there were some big pieces that didn't need assembly. Ted didn't break and run. He was actually happy to get it started.

Start with A and put 1-5/16 x 3" screw with spacer nut and5/16 nut. WHAT THE HECK!

Truly it wasn't that bad.


Actually the directions were very simple and they had pictures. Thank you Sydell. I love you.

It took only 1 hour to finish. It winches from a flat position to a height of 30". Much easier on the back.


It even has wheels to make moving much easier.


Tomorrow we will try it out with a sheep. I am very excited. Do you think the sheep will be as happy? Probably not. I guess we will just have to convince them otherwise. I am sure we will have some excitement. We always do.

To our goat friend Marigold, yes we will put the goats on the stand to trim hooves. You didn't think I was buying this only to torment the sheep did you? Muhahahhahhahaha

Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.

6 comments:

GreyWolf said...

Congrats on your new purchase and its timely arrival. I hope it is all you want it to be and get much use from it.

Marigold said...

Okay. But you know, for a goat like me, you need a bar across the top. I can kick like a Rockette. The goatmother wants to know if it goes down low enough to get a heavy-weight like Boo into it. I might add that I, myself, wonder if it is wide enough. I want you to know that from your comment, I feel you are getting far too much pleasure from this obvious torture device.

Marigold said...

Oy, by the way. I happened to notice that Ted started out the project with a lot more clothes than he ended up with. I think it's a really good thing it wasn't any harder, if you ask me. See Ted? It doesn't pay to put together torture devices for sweet, sweet goats.

Kelly said...

GreyWolf- Thank you. I know we will put it to good use.
Marigold- You are completely aware the goats understand the whole process when it is explained to them and they are more than willing to show how intelligent they are. Way above sheep if you ask me.
The stand is wide enough for a Nubian.
We got up to 83 for the first time this year and Ted had a need for a change of clothing. Thank heavens we didn't go up to 90. LOL. By the time we were finished it had dropped to 63. MAINE

Marie said...

Awesome!! Can't wait to see how you like it! Good luck!

Marigold said...

Hey, that's good. 'Cuz you know, Ted, there are only so many clothes one can take off. Otherwise, you know... well, we don't want to go there. Oy.