Saturday, April 28, 2012

Homemade Fire Starters

Something we always need.....firestarters.  We buy about 3 boxes of the things every winter.  They run about $10 a box.  What are they made of? Hmmm.... I have a friend who gifted me with homemade firestarters.  She told me how to make my own.  I think it is the same thing as give them a fish or teach them to fish sort of lesson here.  We always have an abundance of lint.  Every time we empty the dryer we clean the filter.  Isn't that what we were all taught to do?  Oh, I have a story about a daughter who didn't know there was a filter in the dryer. Use your imagination here. 
Anyway, I put some old egg cartons on top of the dryer to put lint balls in. Nice lint.
After about a month we had lint balls galore.  I trimmed off the sides of the egg cartons after they were full.

Then I melted an old candle that I never use.  You can use old candles that are mostly used up, even the scented candle that remains in the jar after you are finished burning it.  I used a big tomato can to melt the candle in.

After it is melted just pour it over the lint eggs.  Watch the wax at all times, you don't want to start a fire before it's time. 
Let the lint eggs cool until hard.

Just cut out each section.

Store them in bags for later use.  They stay dry.

I had a plastic top that fit the tomato can so I covered the remaining wax after it cooled.

I had to try them out.  It was a bit nippy and damp with the rain, so a perfect time for a fire.

I will work on these over the summer and stock pile for the cold winter months.  I am horrible and do not hang out my clothes on a line.  I am a dryer girl. I make no apologies. For all you outdoor hangers I take my proverbial hat off to you.
At least I can make something out of lint balls. Any other ideas out there? Let me know.
Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

cool idea! i will do this next winter as i am a hang it outside dryer!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I save old candle stubs and use those as well. The clothes line gets more use around here than the dryer so lint is in short supply.

DutchHexSign said...

I only use my dryer in EXTREME emergencies and occasionally to de-hair things that begin to look as furry as the cats and dogs, in time of no wind (which are not that common here) so I fear my lint balls would have to be mixed with leftover scented candle ends (which I don't have a lot of, either) to offset the odor of burning hair. LOL Not that it would bother me... no sense of smell, but it would likely drive K out of the house as he got my sense of smell and likely some from some poor doggie as well. Call him bloodhound...

I did make some out of something, once, though.. I am thinking it might have been shredded stems from processing herbs.