Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Rumor Has It

I was out checking the animals yesterday and some nosy goat was spreading nasty rumors around the barnyard.  Isabella and Ruthie approached me first.  "Ahem...Goatmother. We have a concern that we need to discuss with you. There is a very nasty rumor that we will soon be out of hay".  I could not believe my ears. The goats were in a tizzy with this rumor.  After all, goats love their hay.  I asked the ladies who was spreading this rumor.  They gave each other that look. You know that look.  The one that  little old ladies give each other in church and then follow THE LOOK with a statement like.... "we don't want to gossip, but..." Yes, that look.
Fuzzy the llama was appalled with this recent rumor and the fact that she had not even heard it.  After all, she has been on baby detail.  Checking on the new lambs to make sure they are perfect and safe. Waiting for more lambs and kids to come along. All she had to say about the rumor  was "those crazy old goats, they are always trying to start something in the barnyard. They have way too much time on their hooves."
The hens were taking a nice siesta in the barn.  I thought that since there were so many of them they may have heard who started the rumor.  They told me that they have turned over a new feather and given up on rumors since the little red hen went around yelling "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" and scared all the ladies into not laying for at least a week.  
Bella wanted to whisper the answer in my ear. After all she didn't want to be accused of being a tattle tale.  She told me to lean closer.  No, come closer.  Then those sweet goatie lips gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.  She suggested that I go ask Oreo the barn cat. She whispered that  "he is a wise old barn cat and would definitely know the answer".
Oreo was napping in the barn and wasn't too pleased to be awakened in the afternoon.  After all, wise cats need cat naps to remain so wise. He told me that he didn't know who started the rumor but that I should hold a meeting of all the animals and stop it before it got out of hand.
"Great idea Oreo."  Out to the pasture I went to clear up this misunderstanding. Everyone was present including the sheep.  "Excuse me, I need to make an announcement.  Everyone, gather close. I want you all to hear.  Excuse me, would all the barnyard inhabitants please come near. I have an important announcement to make." 
Nothing, absolutely nothing. Everyone went on with their munching, scratching, crowing and well, just everyday life on the farm.
Just goes to show you. If you don't play into rumors everyone soon forgets and goes on with their everyday life.
Who knew that a barnyard was filled with such smart critters.
Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm

7 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hmmmmm...i wonder who started that nasty rumor?

Barbee' said...

Delightful post! Many smiles here.

Tombstone Livestock said...

Cute post.

Rian said...

Love your animal pictures! I can just picture them all together doing a little barnyard dance. And that llama's face is priceless!

Rain said...

Great post Kelly!! Could be a children's book...... New career...?!
Love the llama face also - I didn't know u had one of those- love thm!!
Rain :)

Ellen in Oregon said...

Thanks for the great animal morality story complete with great photos. I agree with Rain that this post would make a teriffic basis for a kids book. You need a publisher & some of your animals look like they have connections. Get them to arrange a meeting, cut a mean deal and you'll be so rich the goats will know what hit them. Well... maybe not exactly like that, but I do think it would be a very good kids book and, clearly, adults will enjoy it too.

luckybunny said...

LOL this was adorable! I had so much fun reading it.

Rumors are bad but thankfully you are right - they are also quickly forgotten :)