Monday, July 20, 2009

Turkeys Out of the Barn!

We have had a few good weather days and took advantage of it to get the turkeys out of the barn. They were very quickly getting too big for their small space and bored. I know, they told me so. We started by clearing approximately 1/4 acre of various weeds. We have done weeds very well this wet, cool summer. Last summer we bought a string mower and we have really put it to good use. It basically is a weed eater with a lawn mower motor. It goes through weeds and small bushes.

We are always looking for ways to cut back on costs. Alex had a great idea to use wood pallets as walls and support. 2x4's serve as upper support. Everything is held together with 3inch deck screws. You can't pull this baby apart with a tractor!

We used plywood as a roof, and covered it with pre graveled roofing paper. The turkeys will stay dry. Next we put up chicken wire to give them a yard to roam and look for bugs and new sprigs of grass. We added the turkeys and they seemed appropriately pleased with their new digs.

They seemed a bit lonely so we spent some time sitting with them. I love the way the chirp and pip at you.

All in all it looks really nice. We even added a front porch for them. They can enjoy the shade from the tree. Like we ever need shade! Later we put plywood on the sides to provide protection from rain. It was too dark to take a picture so I'll add it to the next post.

Turkeys and all the animals are wishing you and yours a very happy day. Much love and prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

you are such good turkey parents. LOL Great house and pen for them

Lisa said...

Very resourceful! I need to get my meat birds out of my shop (my version of "A Room of Her Own", well plus dusty chickens), so I guess I need to go hunt up some pallets!

Enjoy the SUN!

Smiles,
Lisa

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

That turned out great! I'm sure the turkeys love their new digs.

tonya said...

The turkey pens look great! My Dad uses old pallets in his barn to separate goat stalls - they do work great! Could be a great market for those out there if people didn't know they were just pallets, and they had another name, like... insta-stall. Hope all is well there on the farm!