Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday, But Not a Lazy Sunday

The guineas are early risers. A couple of them have found the roof. They are learning how to fly and have made the roof as a goal of some sorts.

They were noisy when we first got them and that hasn't changed a bit. As you can tell they are quite vocal. They have found the chicken gate to the pasture and are regular visitors there now. The sheep don't mind and Fuzzy the llama certainly doesn't care.

They were telling the world that Ted had put some round things in the goat pen and was making noise building something. As you can see Sophie is always willing to give a helping hoof or too to make the job easier. I could tell the next step in her playground experience was going to be Ted's back. I think like a goat.

We had discussed that the goats needed something to keep themselves occupied with. Ted had stopped by and spoke with an electric company just outside of Bangor about getting some of their wire spools to put together playground equipment, goat playground equipment. It turned out really nice and the goaties really love playing king of the hill. I think Bella and Sophie were playing Billy Goat Gruff under there.

I was inside with the wood stove going making soap. Today was a honeysuckle with calendula flowers day. I added a yellow mica pigment for fun. I had help with the setting up phase of soapmaking. Mo loves to help out. She keeps the quilt from coming off of the soap mold while it is heating up. Isn't she wonderful? She takes her job very seriously.

I have been complaining about the soap supply storage. No matter how I readjust things space is still a problem. My storage area inadequate. I NEED MORE STORAGE SPACE. Is anyone listening? I was afraid my scent bottles would break, my herbs and seeds were getting lost. I was whining. I know whining when I hear it, especially when it comes from me.

Yes my dear friend Alex was listening. She at least wanted to shut up the whiner. "Enough already," she said. "Enough of the infernal whining." "Do you know you are a whiner?" No, she really didn't say that. She is too nice to say that out loud. I know she was thinking it though. She started setting up the shelving in the staircase to our attic over the kitchen.

While I was making soap and listening to Nat King Cole's, "A Christmas Song" CD she was busy building a shelving system even Martha Stewart would be proud of.

I couldn't wait to move in. I started grabbing tubs off of the shelves in the mud room like a mad shopper on Black Friday in Walmart. I love my new shelving. I can see what scents I have and those I need. It looks so nice and neat. I can find everything now.

We have been so busy working the last couple of weeks that I have been remiss in my posting. I have been on reading blogs but just not able to post. I really miss it. I hope ya'll have had a wonderful Sunday. Much love and prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.
Kelly

9 comments:

Melodie said...

We are always putting things in our goat yard to entertain our goaties too!If they are happy and playing it is free entertainment for us!Better than TV!

Bee Haven Bev said...

HI Kelly....your shelves are wonderful. Don't you just love getting organized. Well, we had quite a sad Sunday here.....a terrible guinea massacre. I am thinking that we are done with guineas....I can't stand the pain!!!

Lili said...

Wow lucky you . . . Alex did your scents proud . . . they really look lovely on those shelves.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Just love the quineas....we used to raise them when I was young. I have chickens and ducks, but have not gotten guineas...you have made me want them now! {: Could you please ask Alex to come over and make me some book shelves...some teapot shelves...some pantry shelves.......well.....lots??? She did a wonderful job! Martha has some competition! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! blessings,Kathleen

Danni said...

Guineas...I love watching them. And their feathers are incredibly beautiful. A friend of mine sent me an envelope full of guinea feathers and some of the black dots on them actually looked like hearts!

Ted did an excellent job on the goat climbing structure. They will love him even more now. :-) I have been trying to find some smaller spools for my dwarf goats, but no luck so far.
Ooooh....new shelving..new organization...sigh....it looks wonderful. You must be in heaven!

Paula said...

Wow- look at those fabulous shelves!! Alex did a great job on those- and how great it is to be organized!
Loved the guinea video... they are loud but they are so much fun to have around! (Not to mention GREAT exterminators!)

Peggy said...

I wanna come play with the goats! LOL I am sorry as I thought I had sent you a link to the blog. Getting old and forgetful... have a blessed weekend

Bee Haven Bev said...

Hey....just checking to make sure all is ok there in Maine. We haven't heard from you in a while...no posts about your farm. I am hoping that you all are just busy with holiday fun!!

Hugs from PA!!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh My! Those shelves are beautiful and useful...a winning combination. Please tell Alex she did a wonderful job.