Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday and Tomato Pie

It's Sunday. Yes, lazy, peaceful, quiet. Great time to try something new.  I love trying recipes from my blog friends.  Octoberfarm always posts so many delicious recipes.  I have tried a few and can tell you that my favorite is her Corned Beef Brisket. 
 I was at work and kept hearing how wonderful this Tomato Pie is.  It seems way too simple. Just a few items you probably have in your garden and pantry. 
Tomato Pie
1 refrigerated unbaked pie crust
1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 2 cups)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbl bread crumbs
2 lb. tomatoes, cut in wedges (about 6 cups)
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
 
Preheat oven to 450. Place pie crust in a 9" pie plate. Sprinkle minced garlic over crust bottom.   Bake for 12 minutes or until dry.
Reduce oven temp to 375. 
Sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese over the baked crust, then bread crumbs. Top with 1/3 tomato wedges, 1/3 cherry tomatoes. Repeat layering cheese, tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes until gone.  Sprinkle salt over top.  The pie crust will be very full.  (No joke) Bake 25 minutes until pastry is golden and tomatoes are beginning to brown. Remove to a rack and sprinkle top with chopped basil. Let stand 10 minutes.
I relied on my clean up crew.  If it hit the floor my Hoover team was spot on.
 
"Come on mom, drop something again."

Time for a taste test. 
Yep.  It is delicious and the basil makes it!

Thank you both Kristin and Cathy for the recipe. Tastes like summer in a pie shell.
Much Love from Mainely Ewes Farm.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that looks so good! my cleanup crew is made up of just one but she is very diligent!

Mike said...

How can you go wrong with basil, maters and cheese?