Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Work and Fun

With the summer sun and no rain we had a chance to cut, bale and bring in the rest of the hay. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I kept praying for a break in the rain so we could hay and I got my prayer answered with a resounding YES. Kevin our neighbor taught Alex how to bale using his big CASE tractor. She was grins from ear to ear. Not bad for a newbie.

Chetah taught me how to rake the hay into rows. My rows were not straight by any account but they were baleable. (is that a word?) I love my big green tractor. I sigh and have a silly grin on my face when I look at it.

Kevin has several fields that he hays. We all worked together to get the hay in. All total we put up just over 1,000 bales of hay. It took Kevin, Chetah, Ted, Teddy, Alex, Me, K, and C to bring in all that hay. The barn is full and so beautiful. It smells so good.

Ted and I were able to get the big double doors on the back of our barn open. From what we were told, it has been over 50 years since they were open. Now we can get a breeze through the barn. The hinges are forged iron and still work. The barn is our next summer project. It will look very pretty with new shingles and barn red.

Our big Jumbo Cornish X Rocks were large enough to go to the butcher. We choose not to butcher on our homestead as we know the smell of blood attracts predators. So far we have been very fortunate in that sense. We packed the boys up in their plastic transportation coop. They were left behind by the last owner of the farm and really come in handy. We took in 23 total.
We took the trip to West Gardiner Beef. They do an excellent job and the chickens are clean and put immediately on ice for the trip home. Jasmine went with us for the first time. She now understands how the meat gets on the table. I feel that it is an important lesson and they are less inclined to waste.

It has been so hot and muggy that we needed a trip to the lake. We went to Peaks-Kenny State Park for a nice dip in Lake Sebec. The water was cool and felt so refreshing. First things first. Sun screen must be applied.

It is always good to have help.

Funny face contestant #1....
contestant #2....

It was so hazy that you can barely see Mt. Katahdin in the distance. On a clear day it is so beautiful. It makes you appreciate the beauty of Maine.
Keep cool and take time out from your busy summer to enjoy the good life and make memories for little ones. Much love and prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.
Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hay looks so good! Without much rain this summer we haven't cut any hay yet. We think we will be able to cut in a week or so.
I know the homegrown chickens will be so much better than the hormone ones from the stores!
The funny faces are adorable!

On the videos, Kelly. I found that upload the videos to youtube then putting them on the blog worked out better for me.
When I had dial-up though, uploading videos was almost impossible.
On the youtube it will give you a embed link that you copy and then paste to your blog site.
Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Have a good day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hey greet post !