Saturday, May 15, 2010

Little This Little That

Sometimes that is all I got. A little this and a little that. 

This summer Bangor, Maine is having a street market downtown on Thursdays from 5-8pm.  I have decided that this will be the first market that I will sell my soap, lotion, bath salts,and eggs. I am apprehensive about this. I know the items are a good quality and people really like them. I guess all firsts are kind of scary.  Well, that said, I have to have a tax number.  We have the necessary LLC and Federal number,however, Maine wants it’s cut too.  Thank goodness Maine has these forms online. What a great thing! Now I just wait.

084

I have been thinking.  It’s painful but I do have to keep the old gears in working order. I wanted to make a kitchen soap. I thought that coffee would be an excellent scent. Last week I got to work.  I used coffee as the water part of my soap, I had ordered coffee scent (it’s difficult to find for cold process soap)oil, and I mixed coffee grounds into the soap.  After it was poured into the mold I sprinkled coffee grounds on top.  After it set up I cut the bars and I am very pleased with the outcome.  It does have a slight mocha scent to it.  Any ideas out there for names? 

069

I received a very nice letter from a lady in Port Charlotte, Florida.  She said that she had been up to Maine at her sisters house and had used my lotion.  She forgot to save the bottle and as circumstances happened her sister had passed. She was up in Maine visiting her mom and she was given a bar of my soap as a gift. She wanted a brochure to order more soap and lotion.  I just had to call her.  Seems her sister and I worked at Eastern Maine Medical Center together and she had bought my soap. I remembered her and loved her dearly. It is truly a small world.

019

Alex and I had visited a neighbor about buying her llama and a angora/cashmere. Sadly she had sold both this winter. It seems that she has switched over to horses. I just don’t get it.  Anyhow, she lent us her drum carder for wool. Now we have to get picking, washing and drying to see how this turns out. 

018

We had our first fiddleheads of the season. I love these asparagus like ferns.  I guess I have truly embraced Maine.

001

I tried an experiment last night.  Each night we put the kids into their creep separating them from their mothers.  That way I can milk in the morning and let them nurse the rest of the day.  We both are happy.  We haven’t noticed them nursing much.  Isabella and Carina move away from the kids when they try to nurse. Kind of like self weaning them.  I had the bright idea of leaving them out last night to see just how much they are still nursing.  Well…..a lot! Here is the amount of milk I got from both goats combined this morning.

016

This is what I normally get in the morning. Well, I guess the kids are back in the creep tonight. Sorry guys.

017

Well that is about all the this and that for now.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day and what is your this and that?

Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.  Kelly

8 comments:

Callie Brady said...

I hope you have great success selling items at the street market. I know I would love the kitchen soap. Today I worked on putting together a compost and cleaning the chicken pen.

katiegirl said...

Good luck at the market!! I'm sure you'll do great! I'll bet the coffee soap smells great. I'm not great at coming up with names. How about "The Daily Grind"? Or Cuppa Joe?

The fiddleheads look so good! I've never had them but if they're at all like asparagus I'd probably like them!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hi, I always love to stop by and read this and that on your daily lives! Your soap sounds wonderful! Good luck if you sell at the market! blessings,Kathleen

Lili said...

That's great that you are going "public" with your soaps! And that was such a touching story about your co-worker that passed and how the sister contacted you because of your soaps. I love fiddleheads, had my first last week at my Mom's house in Old Town. Yum! The coffee soap with the grounds sounds wonderful! I can't think of anything creative, but I like what Callie said. My, you guys are busy! ~Lili

Paula said...

Sounds like you all have been very busy! That is wonderful that you're going to be selling you soaps and lotions at the market- best of luck on that!! If you ever sell any online- let me know!

Anonymous said...

Batiful blog! I love farm!
kisses
flor

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly and Alex,
I hope you decide to sell the soap and lotion on-line.
I haven't heard of fiddleheads before. I don't think we have those down here. it would be interesting to try them.

My this and that has been gardening, pulling up weeds, staking tomato plants, enjoying the kids home the weekend.

Hope you have a great week.
Pam

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Best of success at the market; how about 'mocha nice' for your coffee soap?