Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh No! Another Hay Post

Oh no! Another haying post.  If it's summer it must be hay season.  Sunshine, cool breeze and we're off to the upper meadow.  Otherwise known as the upper hayfield. Beautiful trip through a thick forest of trees.

The views are breathtaking.  The beauty of a corn field is so Americana.  This corn field is destined as silage.  Silage is fed at most dairy's here.  Basically it is corn.  However, they don't just pick the ears to make feed out of.  A machine comes down the rows and cuts the stalk off about 6 inches from the ground and grinds the stalk and ears.  Nothing wasted. The silage ferments and provides a great source of feed for dairy cattle.  Not for goats. The fermentation can be dangerous and may contain a bacteria called Listeria. Listeria can be deadly to goats. Therefore, we use sweet feed specifically designed  for goats. Safer.

Hay all mown. Tedded by Ted of course.  Nice and dry.   Ready to be raked and baled.
 
Ted on the blue tractor raking, Fred on the baler.

Emma and Lucy helping keep any bugs or mice away.  They did find a dead snake. Oh joy!
New Holland .  Great dependable baler.  This is Freds' baler. Good news we are now the proud owners of a very rusty New Holland 66 baler. Old. Very old. It works and that is the best thing about it.

Plop...plop out comes the bales in neat little well...bales.


We are expecting showers tonight so we will wait till Wednesday to mow the lower pasture.  At that time I will yell that we have completed the first cut.  Today  is one of the hottest and most humid of this summer.  I keep reminding myself that it will be cold weather soon enough. I am trying to convince myself that this feels good.  No luck so far. Blah.....too hot.
Hope you all are having a wonderful summer. Keep in mind that it will be cold soon enough. Just try it and see if it works for you. I sincerely hope so.
Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.

9 comments:

Melodie said...

Beautiful! I love hay cutting! There is very little hay here this summer because of the drought but when I look at your pictures I can almost smell that wonderful smell of fresh hay!

Michaele said...

Glad you have the equipment you need. I tried reminding myself yesterday that in the winter, I always say I can stand the heat better than the cold. Now I am not so sure.

Mike said...

Not, 'Oh No' to me. I haven't had anything to read in days. Seems all the bloggers I follow have been taking a break or letting life get in the way. Hot there? With our humidity the heat index was 109 today and should hit that tomorrow, too and I was in it all day. I love the heat but with no shade it's dangerously draining. I'm just now getting my voice back.
Thanks for the post. ;)

Marigold said...

Hay! Hot? What is hot? We still are having trouble making it to 70 degrees. I think we had summer already. It was one day long. I suppose this is why Peanuts grow in the South and not here. It is a good thing they ship them all over or I'd have to move. Carry on with your haying. The goats will appreciate it. I have to say, though, I've never seen anyone hay in shorts. How do they keep from getting all stuck? Hay! By the way, maybe your dogs found our missing flat-Stanley snake! Everybody needs a vacation.

Lee Weber said...

Hi- came over from Fearless Nesting. My husband and I bought a 12 acre farm in New Gloucester last December. We have chickens and goats, and I am an ICU nurse too! Are we living parallel lives?? :-) We haven't gotten a tracor yet, but we need one! We need hay and straw for the ponies... My dad has always farmed, and so I know the "joys" (ahem) of doing hay... better than straw (much sharper) and picking rocks! Or gleaning corn.. can't wait to see what's coming next.

doglady said...

Nothing is any better than haying season. Well, perhaps putting cord wood into the basement is bit better but not by much.

LindaSue said...

Oh you are getting so prepared and well equipped - I'd enjoy a barn of nice fresh hay - and know our goats would consider it reassuring. Appreciating your hard work and keeping us up to date!

Kelly said...

Melodie- I wish we could give water where it is needed and move it away from the flodded areas. A water pipeline like the oil one in Alaska? Would put alot of people to work!

Michaele- I never thought I would look at hay equipment like others look at cars. I don't do well in the heat either.

Mike-I love to blogg and read others but life does have a way of taking up most of our time. Actually work is less intense at times than the farm. I get to rest once in a while. LOL

Marigold-A couple of years ago we didn't even get a summer. It was cool all summer. Peanuts do like it hot. Strange little critters.

Lee-Hi and welcome. Isn't it strange that nurses become farmers? Maybe they are farmers first and become nurses. Like the chicken and the egg.

Doglady- I agree with you. Both activities leave you wiht sore muscles but alot of satisfaction.

Linda-Summer keeps us so busy. Winter is plenty of time to rest and work on indoor projects.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments. We are part of a community not seperated by distance. Happy Summer!

,, said...

Great pictures - New Holland baler reminds of growing up in Ireland in the 1970s