Monday, June 27, 2011

If a tree falls in the woods.....

This spring we had some amazing thunderstorms with a lot of wind, thunder and lightening and hay growing rain.  No flooding so we count ourselves blessed. There were many trees down up in our woods.  We found a few hardwood trees that will get sawed and split into firewood.  This tree was caught onto another tree and needed a little coercion in order to fall. Please excuse the dorky woo hoo at the end.

Emma and Lucy were good girls and stayed in the truck till the tree was down.


After the tree came down Ted set to work cutting it into lengths that will fit into our wood stove. I much prefer him cuttin up the logs. I don't like using a chain saw.
The logs were then split and piled into the truck.
The splitting part was my job. I enjoy splitting wood. It is fun. So much easier with this splitter.
                                               Back down the trail to home with a truck bed piled high.

Stacked into a nice pile to dry. I know, I need to work on my stacking skills.
By the way....is this poison ivy?  If so we must not be allergic to it. No rashes. Our woods seem to grow this in abundance. It looks kind of like wild strawberries too. I would much prefer the wild strawberries.
We have more trees to cut and split. We never leave home without the bug spray.  The mosquitoes and black flies are in full swing.  I hate those biting critters. 
Our wood pile keeps growing and will be greatly appreciated when the temps drop and then the snow falls.  We are outside enjoying every warm day we are given. 
Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.

3 comments:

Marigold said...

Okay, I was ready to be SO impressed with Ted. What a He-man to fell that tree, saw it up and then split it too? I was impressed until I saw 1) you have a splitter, and 2) YOU did it. Okay, so now I'm only half as impressed. :) The goatmother says the plant is not poison ivy. It looks rather like a blackberry. Does it vine? She says if you will send her some more pictures of it, she can likely indentify it. (skwimbug@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

I liked the woo hoo! I can make that same sound around here...a lot.

It is so hot down here right now,that cutting and splitting wood will have to wait until at least Oct.

It doesn't look like poison ivy. We have lots of it here and the leaves are smooth edged.
Nice wood stack.
Have a great day.
Pam

Mike said...

If memory serves me, poison ivy has 5 leaves. This looks to have 3? I can't really tell. Let's sing - mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. Do you lambs eat it? Nevermind. I just found your blog through Hidden Haven's and enjoyed the read. Look forward to following your quest.
Mike