Friday, June 3, 2011

Spring Chicks and Turkeys

It is spring so it must be time to order chicks and turkeys from Murray McMurray Hatchery. Since the first year we ordered we have learned so much. We have everything set up ahead of time. The brooders are ready with fresh shavings and food and water. We got the call from the post office in Bradford this year. In years past the birds came early Sunday morning to Bangor, ME. With the cost cut backs we now have to wait till Monday morning to get the chicks. I suppose it cost more to have us pick up the chicks on Sunday. I completely understand the cut backs but we seem to lose more chicks with the one day delay.

For a short time all of the chicks can stay in one brooder. After a couple of days we have to move the sweet little yellow chicks into a brooder by themselves. They are Cornish Rock Cross and grow at a rate of 10 times that of the sweet little brown hens. They are Buff Orpington. We put Grow Gel on top of the feed for the first feeding. They notice the green color and peck at it.


All cozy and warm with fresh water and feed. A chicks life. We have Partridge Plymouth Rock hens but they never seem to go broody. It seems that the Buffs make good setters.


The turkeys arrived a couple of days later. We ordered Bourbon Reds. We hope to keep a few hens and a couple Toms to breed.



Repeat steps 1-5 with the turkeys.


All cozy and fed.


Yep. It's spring and we have turkeys and chicks.

Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.

8 comments:

Marigold said...

Gobble, gobble, gobble. Don't let them near the Peanuts! Come to think of it, don't let Ted near the Peanuts.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Nothing says "spring" like little peeps! I can't wait to hear what you think of your turkeys. They have been a wonderful addition to our homestead. Nice brooders!

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Wish we lived closer and I would give you baby chicks. We have around 40 baby chicks that were all hatched by momma hens and still have hens sitting on eggs. Strange year. I am hoping I can leave a comment. If you see this it worked. LOL I had problems the other day.

Michaele said...

You are gonna love the BO's! I am amazed at the prolific laying, the egg size, and the gentleness of the bird. Great choice!

Marigold said...

Dear Kelly,
It is of utmost importance that you read my response to your response (I was lookin' back to see, if you was lookin' back to see, if I was lookin' back to see, if you was lookin' back at me ...)

Anonymous said...

I love baby chicks... then they grow up and become holy terrors. Hee hee!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

So glad others like to keep chickens 'cause I like to buy eggs -smile-. I don't, however, like keeping chickens.

katiegirl said...

Yay for new chicks and poults! I love getting new ones.