Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy First Day of Spring

Happy Spring! To some of our southern neighbors it doesn't mean a whole lot. Just a day on the calender. In Maine it is special. A true spring of sorts. The days are getting warmer and longer. The chickens are roaming around the chicken yard enjoying the daylight. The sheep are in the pasture waiting for the thaw. We put our order in for poultry at Murray McMurray Hatchery. I hope this will be the last order that we have to place for laying hens. I get so jealous hearing about everyone's hens "going broody". I think our girls like to party. They lay eggs and leave. None of that setting for these girls. We ordered 30 Buff Orphington laying hens and 2 Buff roosters. I think our roo may need help with all the additional ladies coming. We want chicks. Buffs are suppose to be very good mothers. We will have broody hens. I just know it. Our girls are 3 years old now. In hen years that is middle aged. We need to add some new blood to our flock. Our roo is happy about the additions. See the lecherous grin on his beak! In addition to hens we ordered 15 Bourbon Red turkeys and 25 Cornish Rock Cross broiler roosters. They all should be arriving around May 3rd.
Spring on the farm. We still have snow but it is melting more each day. Just last week there was a snow drift next to the house about 3 ft high.
Thinning snow means......
All of the waste from the wood pile is showing up. Looking nasty, muddy and genuinely ugly. We are still using fire wood and will have just enough. The yard will take a lot of work. It will be lush and green with paeony's, cherry trees, lillys, daffodils all blooming making the landscape spectacular. I can close my eyes and imagine. That is what I have to do for now because it really looks like this........
So Happy Spring to all from a very muddy Mainely Ewes Farm.

8 comments:

Michaele said...

Oh I can't wait to see the babies and watch the Bourbon Reds grow up! Happy Spring to you!

Rain said...

Can't be Maine without a blue tarp in the yard!! Beautiful day today-but just a quick little flake or 6 inches tomorrow-but you know what they say here-won't last long now!! Buff Orphingtons are the best mothers-mine have always been~and they are pretty!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Happy Spring to you! It's a beautiful, fine Spring day here at Thistle Cove Farm; I need to get OFF this computer and get OUTSIDE!

Lili said...

I had to laugh because it's always a surprise what you will find underneath all those melting snowpiles. I found my rotting pumpkin I had all but forgot about. That's a whole lot of critters coming your way! ~Lili

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I'm sorry, but I can't help be a little envious of all your new chickens coming. Can't wait to see the photos. Spring clean up is a drag but it needs to get done.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these girls will go broody for you next spring! That's a whole lotta snow y'all got up there. Happy Spring to Ewe - and all the critters on Mainely Ewes Farm :)

Marigold said...

A squishy, squelchy happy First Day of Spring from water-logged Washington!

leaningapplemama said...

Hmmm...I think you have our rooster! We have the same Guy! He is our one and only! I have been enjoying all your photos! Be well, pennie