Monday, March 21, 2011

Keeping it Local

Each year we attempt a garden. I say attempt here because it is never a true success. The weeds take over on the days that I have to work and the garden disappears. It looks like a sci-fi movie with the weeds growing at warp speed. We love fresh vegetables, salads, onions, pumpkins.....on and on and on. We always had a garden in Florida. My mom worked very hard every day to keep the weeds at bay. They almost have a year round growing season there. They are having fresh strawberries while we still have snow on the ground. Maine has a very short growing season. Most plants are started indoors a couple of months before the ground outside is warm enough to plant. Otherwise they never mature and get caught in the first freeze. I tried to start some seeds indoors, once. The cats had a wonderful time and really appreciated the fresh greens. This year we have a plan. Our plan is to buy fresh organic produce through a CSA or Community Supported Agriculture Farm. We have bought a full share in Parker Produce , an organic farm in Newport, Maine. You can find them at http://parkerproduce.org/ For a fee, they provide a variety of fresh vegetables through out the summer and fall. They use sustainable organic practices without pesticides and poisons. That means fresh salad greens, peppers, kale, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers..........I love a colorful salad. Aren't these little peppers so cute? They are sweet and crunchy.

We will be able to provide our own farm raised chickens and lamb. We also bake our own bread. Last summer I bought this bread machine on Amazon.com and I am in love. The house smells so wonderful with bread baking. I know I could mix, knead, let rise and bake bread from scratch in the oven. However, in our kitchen the temp hovers around 65degrees on some winter days. Not warm enough for bread to rise. There are some improvements that I am very willing to use. This is one.


It always catches me unawares when it starts to bump and thump in the knead cycle.

So, if you aren't able to spend the time planting and growing your own fresh vegetables, do the next best thing. Buy local. Support your local CSA. Always buy local when possible. Keeping the money in state is the best way to kick start our economy. I think China is a lovely place but right now we need help right here at home.


Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm

8 comments:

Michaele said...

CSA is such a good thing for everyone involved. I didn't realize Maine has such a short growing season. By the way, that salad looks delicious!!

Marigold said...

The goatmother identifies with your short-growing-season woes. That coupled with poor soil doesn't bode well for gardening. She has discovered the joys of growing garlic. Emeril would be proud. :)

NancyDe said...

Lovely peppers. I have the same problem with gardening and working and weeds, but fortunately, no frost. I do have a problem with excessive rain - it always seems to bucket down the few days after I plant seeds, rotting them, or washing them out of position. Yet, I have dreams of making my own small CSA for my coworkers.... crazy me.

Ross Wolfe said...

Recently I wrote a blog entry offering a leftist critique of the ideology of “Green” environmentalism, deep ecology, animal rights activism, eco-feminism, and lifestyle politics in general (veganism, “dumpster diving,” “buying local,” etc.). I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter and any responses you might have to its criticisms.

LindaSue said...

I need to check 'cause DH is planning to "do our garden" this year (I do a lousy job - keeping it honest here) and not sure if he'll poop out halfway through the growing season. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jj Starwalker said...

Did you know, the Stone Soup Collaborative -- much closer to you than Newport (we are in Argyle and Corinth) is offering a CSA this year as well? While we are not certified, we do follow organic principles...

This is our first year offering the CSA. Actually, our growing season is not as short as many folks seem to think (although unless Mother Nature gets her act together, this year it will be! LOL) as we often are planting (seeds as well as transplants) mid-April ("as soon as the soil can be worked" on those seed packets means just that!) and continue through mid to late May with the tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, melons and squash on the late end of planting season. Then, every two weeks or so, in goes more lettuce, all summer long!

We are already eating lettuce from our "kitchen garden" on the growing shelves in the kitchen!

trashmaster46 said...

I can't wait to get this year's garden going. I'm so behind! And I'm all for using the bread machine. I've got tendonitis up and down my arms, so there's only so much I can do in a day. I'd just as soon let the machine do the mixing and first kneading, thank you very much!

Lili said...

Mmmmmm, fresh veggies AND home made bread. I'm getting awfully hungry. ~Lili