Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Arrivals

We arrived home at 11p last night. It felt so good to be home. We gave the sheep water in the muck bucket and let them sleep in the truck one more night. I don't think they minded too much. They were warm, had a cushy bed of hay, hay to eat and water. Not a bad set up. We are totally amazed that one of the sheep can accurately aim and hit the water bucket with their sheep berries. Now, no one wants to drink that water. We were concerned that the sheep would be unduly stressed with trying to unload them in the dark and put them into an unfamiliar pasture with strangers. This seemed to be a good decision. This morning Emily and Cierra came close to have their halters put on. Echo stood in the back a little unwilling but was easily coerced into agreement.

We didn't get pictures of the move because it took all four of us to lead them through the barn and into their new pasture. Emily and Cierra looked a little lost but soon fit right in with the others.

Truffles and Echo began a head butting episode immediately. There can only be one dominant male. Truffles was unchallenged prior to Echo's arrival. Baby is a wether and is a buddy only.

And again......You can actually feel the vibration as the rams hit.

I can't believe that I stood there with the camera in my hand and completely forgot that I could take video of this. Echo is now the dominant male at our farm. The whole dynamic of the flock changes with any addition.


Everyone seems to be getting along. Echo is interested in the our girls and Truffles keeps checking out the new ladies. Truffles has a gash over his right eye and that will heal in time. His ego might take a bit longer. We will keep close watch that Truffles wound heals well. Echo Rules.

Fuzzy kept close watch on all the sheep. After all, they all belong to her.

I think that everyone will find their place within the flock. At least there isn't a problem with lack of interest.
When you return from any amount of time away from home you always return to mail. Yep, that stack that grows daily and awaits you when you arrive home. We were excited about the magazines, not so much with the bills. One of our favorite magazine is "Sheep". I find that is gives great advice and I love the sections from readers. One letter really shook me up. It reminds me of the stories of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf. The story is straight from a nightmare. At first I didn't think the pictures were real. They look like something that has been Photoshopped. After a bit more reading and a few stops to some web sites it seems to be horribly true. It was sent in by Aileen Scott of Butte, Montana, It deals with the introduction of a non-native wolf and the devastation these giants wreak on wildlife and local sheep. The editor refers readers to this web site: . Honestly, I couldn't look at all of the pictures because it is disturbing. Sometimes, no often, mankind should leave things alone. There were several pictures of this giant non-native wolf in Wyoming. I'm so glad there aren't any in Maine. Ewwww....

Back home and happy. Much Love and Prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.


Fearless Nester said...

Such cute stuff you have there on your farm. That wolf mutation thingy is so strange . . . now WHY would they do that?

tonya fedders said...

First of all, I'm glad you are back home now! Looks like everyone is getting settled in. Secondly, I can't believe the size of that wolf! That is amazing - it's more the size of a bear (ok, maybe not that big) I sure couldn't imagine sheep having a chance with something like that running wild!

Glad that you had a safe trip!

Becky said...

I'm so glad everyone made it home and into their new flock without too much trouble. They all make such a beautiful flock.
That wolf story is so scary! I'm glad you don't have them near you guys!

Eggs In My Pocket / Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Just love all of your furry group! Glad you are back home. Have a restful weekend! blessings,Kathleen

Terri and Randy Carlson said...

Those big wolves are unreal! I'm so glad we don't have them here! How could anyone deal with something like that?