Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Obediance Class


Emma, her nerves get the best of her.

Lucy a bit calmer
Well, I guess you can say that obedience class went as expected. There were Labradoodles, Borzoi, mixed breeds and even a little mop like dog. Then there was Emma. Emma the "oh my, don't let my sister get more than 3 feet away from me", Emma the"your choking me with the collar I must lay in the floor gaging", Emma the "I don't want a treat for doing anything", Emma the "spastic" pooch. Yes, our girl didn't win any awards for best behavior. She threw a jerking, barking fit in the floor like a very tired child in Wal-Mart. The trainer was very patient and thank goodness had a sense of humor. Lucy was calm and put up with the theatrics of her sister very well. She even looked back at her while shaking her little pooch head. "Yep, that's my sister, the one who takes two people to get her to go up the ramp." We are going to take this training with a very positive attitude and a firm hand. We will have to separate them to train. They need to get comfortable without being in each others company. I think that may be one of the most difficult things to accomplish. These girls have been together since the womb. It reminds me of having twins and taking them to separate classes on the first day of Kindergarten. Someone has to throw a fit. Class just isn't the same without someone throwing themselves in the floor kicking and screaming. Yep, that's Emma. The kicker and screamer, every class has to have one. As you can tell, there aren't many pictures. We had planned on Ted working with Emma, Alex working with Lucy and I would be the proud photographer. Well, you know what they say about the best well laid plans.

At least Emma wasn't alone in her antics. This labradoodle was right there with her. Honestly, we have been working with the girls since the class and we are definitely seeing an improvement. They are staying out of the crate until bedtime and they seem to be improving. They went to be spayed Monday and they are recuperating. This should settle them down a bit. After they feel better we will take them for walks on a leash. I still see roaming free in the pasture off leash in their future. Everyone needs play time.

Much love and prayers from Mainely Ewes Farm.
Kelly

1 comment:

katiegirl said...

Good luck and don't give up! :-)