Saturday, January 2, 2010

Road Trip Continued

Time 10:30am
Wow, we are already in Massachusetts. The reason that it didn't take too long, is that I-95 in New Hampshire is only approximately 18miles long. The funny part is, there are 3 state run liquor stores, 2 with their own exits right on the highway. Keep in mind that Maine really doesn't like you to buy at these stores and transport across state lines because they don't get their tax money. I think New Hampshire does it for spite and they are alot cheaper. The weather is still a mess. More wet snow here.

They still want to drive 80 mph in this weather. Things haven't changed since we worked in Salem before moving north.

This is the view from my perspective. See, Alex refuses to let me drive. I have been awake since 4pm yesterday. This is another reason that I need to get off of days. I don't sleep well. Alex went back to sleep last night and she is a good driver.

Roads are more wet with drizzle in Worcester, MA. (pronounced Woostah) I love it. They hid all of their R's. How in the world do children in MA learn to spell?
Worcester has some amazing mills. Many were built around the time of the Civil War and enlarged with the use of immigrant and child labor. Children at the age of 5-6 years old worked 12 hour days and frequently died from accidents, Tuberculosis and poor care. Child labor laws are an outcome from these times and later in our history. I love that many of these immigrant families stayed in the area and there is a diverse cultural and ethnic population.
Holy Cross College is a Jesuit College with fine academics and by the size of the football field, great sports.

Time to breakaway from I 290 and enter the Mass Turnpike System. This is sorta like the Twilight Zone.
See the little Pilgrim Hat.
Somehow I missed Connecticut sign but we made it! What a cool tunnel. Very Art Nuveau, very Connecticut.

We don't have this detail on our bridges today.

Finally, New York and the roads are looking wonderful. Hey, they don't have any snow to speak of. There is even green grass on the roadside. I have got to get out of Maine more often when I am in awe of grass in January.

The good ole' Tappen Zee Bridge. Tappen was the name of a Native American Indian Tribe that lived in the Hudson Valley. We will be able to skirt NYC and the Jersey Turnpike. That would have taken an extra 3 hours at least.

Just over the Hudson River and we are in New Jersey.

What is that? No, it can't be. It is the sun. Now I know where it has been hiding out. New Jersey!

Okay, time to get off the highway and gas up and have an early dinner. No, what is this? Are we in Maine? Is this the Glenburn Girls, Hudson Girls or Bradford Girls? No this the the Parsippany New Jersey Girls. For a minute there I thought I was home. We have to stop and let turkeys cross the road all the time. I guess there is still a bit of wild left in Jersey after all. Warms the cockles of my heart and brings a tear to my eyes.

Stay safe ladies. Come on up sometime and see us. Do you think we could catch these girls, put them in the back with the sheep and head to Maine?

Now it is time for us to grab a bite to eat and get back on the road. If you ever get the chance to stop at a Fuddruckers treat yourself. They have the best burgers and onion rings around.
Back on the road and heading for New Stanton, Pennsylvania which is just outside of Pittsburgh. We will stay there tonight and leave bright and early in the morning after a good night sleep. Much Love and Prayers from your Mobile Mainely Ewes Farm.
Kelly and Alex

3 comments:

Melodie said...

Glad things a rolling along smoothly! Be safe ladies !

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I feel like I'm in the car with ya :-) but I'm here in the recliner in the Nc Appalachians, windy and 8 degrees here, keep posting about the trip, I'm enjoying it, hope roads stay clear.

Lili said...

Nighty night girls . . . sleep tight and stay safe. Nice tour you gave us, by the way.