Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Trip of Neverending Blacktop

First, good morning! Back on the road again. We hope everyone is safe and healthy. A few left over pics from yesterday. We are in love with these. Maine has been working on putting up wind generators and we are proponents of this endeavor. There are pros and cons. We think they are beautiful. They produce excellent, clean power. We don't have to fight over oil, kiss Iranian or Iraqi behind, could bring our troops home and not pollute the environment. Wind is a commodity that is unending.

Their simplicity is beauty.

Illinois is perfect for this too. We were fortunate not to experience their winds but imagine how fast it could travel with no wind breaks. We are looking into having a much smaller version wind turbine installed at the top of our hill. It would offset our electric consumption. Take our word for it. The wind can whip down that hill. Just ask the siding on the house. Sometimes it just cant hang on and goes for a quick fly by.

We thought these were big from the highway. Up close they are huge.

Oh my goodness Dorothy, we aren't in Maine anymore....

I would like to come back someday and take the tour.

The sheep are doing fine. They do a whole lot of standing up and laying down. They have been steady munching on hay. We stopped for gas about 4pm yesterday and decided to give the sheep a drink. This hydrant was perfect for the job. The temps were still bitter in Indiana in the low teens.
The weather was still clear, I like driving in clear! I don't think the sheep drank anything. I think they were still a bit anxious.
Break time over back on the road. There just isn't the excitement on the return trip. If you saw it once..... We stopped last night around 11pm in New Stanton, PA. It was a long drive made worse by hitting snow in Ohio. We ran out of washer fluid which is not a safe thing. We came prepared with an extra gallon of the anti-freeze kind. That bed felt so comfortable. Alex has a cold, took Nyquil and crashed. I took Ibuprofen 800mg and my back felt much better. Darn, we are getting older. This sucks. Doesn't everyone feel better in their 30's? This morning the snow had lessened and this is the beauty we found. The roads are clear with flurries. Pennsylvania is one of my favorite states. I love the mountains and farms with big red barns tucked into meadows.

Hills......

The roads are now clear, it's about 10am. I see Emily looking out the back window at the cars and trucks behind us. I can just imagine she is making weird faces and sticking her tongue out at the passengers like a small child when they think their parents aren't looking. I downloaded a video of the sound of the wind turbines. We didn't find the sound offensive or actually loud, a very peaceful whooshing sound. We have often heard the argument that they are loud. If this is what is keeping states from installing them, give it up people. We need to breathe clean air. Keep safe and warm. Much Love and Prayers from Mobile Mainely Ewes Farm.
Kelly and Alex

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't get the big deal about wind turbine hate either. My husband says they don't work and it's just a way for the government to spend money but he also listens to conservative talk radio, need I say more. I was just out by the airport this morning and saw a small windmill, not like the huge turbines, but a little one. I don't know what it is for, but it looked really cool. If I lived on a hill, not in a valley I would so have one.

Glad you're on your way home...

Smiles,
Lisa

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How much fun you must be having, even though it's so cold! I have always wanted to visit Maine. The wind turbines by the way are sprouting up all over here in Texas. Some like them......some say they ruin the view. Stay warm while you're out and about! blessings,Kathleen

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

when you stop at restaurants, do folks stand around gawking inside the back of your truck?

Peggy said...

I am so jealous of all that snow! I think the wind turbines are beautiful to look at though i don't know much about them. I received a very sweet card and gift card in the mail yesterday. Thanks to the two of you I filled my pantry with staples and supplies I was out of. Now it can snow away and Rusty, Troubles and I will be all set. You ladies really are a blessing in so many ways. thank you

Terri said...

You should be near home by now. I hope the sheep didn't crack your windows with their horns. Cierra can be a bit unruly. We've so enjoyed your trip highlights! Someday, you'll have to do a summer trip, when the weather is more civil and the scenery not so bleak. You're always welcome here! I would love to visit your beautiful state of Maine. Someday...someday.....

katiegirl said...

Love the pictures! I love wind turbines too, and I'd love to have one on our place! A fellow in Vermont had one, lived just up the road from where we lived. His made enough electricity for his place, and he even sold power back to the electric company!